Mons Card Partner: Free access
Located at the heart of the city, this hall was historically linked to the nearby Town Hall and hosts exhibitions on cultural and social
themes. Built in the Baroque style, it was originally the mayor’s chapel; the first Mass for the city’s officials was celebrated here. The officials would follow the church services from the State Room, above the Hall. The chapel is linked to the Town Hall’s Gothic Room by double doors.
The current chapel was built in 1601 to replace an older chapel, of which part of the 14thcentury apse remains, and it was restored in the early 20th century. Several religious confraternities used to meet in the chapel, the most famous of which was the Brotherhood of St George. The Hall was used for a variety of non-religious purposes, including the drawing of lotteries and the announcement of election results, before becoming an exhibition space.